ASHEVILLE, NORTH CAROLINA – APPALACHIAN SINGING STUDY TRIP
April 16-23 2017
Join SongRoutes Appalachian Singing Study Trip to the Blueridge Mountains and Asheville, North Carolina. April 16-23 2017.
Begins Sunday April 16th at Montreat -25 minutes north of Asheville in the Blueridge Mountains We will meet for dinner and an orientation.
Monday April 17th-Thursday April 20th we will be staying and eating at Montreat and will enjoy approx. 4.5 hours singing classes each day – learning about Appalachian, Early Country, Brother Harmonies, Country Gospel, and Shape Note Singing. Overall the focus will be on getting more comfortable with the style and sound of this kind of music, as well as singing in small groups – one on a part and learning more historical/cultural context. We will also have a clogging class! There will be time for some hiking and exploring as well. In the evenings we will enjoy two private house concerts by our instructors and one night will be a square dance in the old Montreat barn!
Our instructors are the amazing Alice Gerrard, Beverly Smith, Ginny Hawker, Tracy Schwarz and Suzannah Park. See instructor page for more info.
Friday April 21st– we will enjoy breakfast at Montreat and one last sing together. Then we will head to Asheville to spend the weekend in this beautiful, historic and culturally vibrant city. We will spend Friday-Sunday in Asheville. We will have an organized city tour, enjoy more cultural/musical experiences and have lots of time to explore this amazing city. Asheville is home to beautiful arts districts, many craft beer breweries, heaps of live music (buskers and shows), wonderful restaurants, fascinating history and America’s largest home – the famous ‘Biltmore Estate’ There is tons to see and do in Asheville.
What is included in the cost?
- 5 nights accommodation at Montreat in the Assembly Inn
- All meals at Montreat – Sunday dinner, Mon-Thurs all three meals, Friday breakfast. Meals are buffets – food is plentiful and good!
- 2 nights accommodations right in downtown Asheville – Four Points Sheraton in Asheville
- Entire music program – all classes, concerts (in Montreat) and square dance Transportation from Montreat to Asheville on Friday
Double Occupancy – $1140 USD + GST = $1197 USD
Single Occupancy – $1590 USD + GST = $1669.50 USD
What is NOT included in the cost?
- Airfare to and from Asheville Meals in Asheville (friday lunch to Sunday lunch)
- There may be some extra costs for possible tours in Asheville – these would all be optional.
How do I sign up? I will have a short form for you to fill out. You can pay the full amount all at once or if you prefer to pay in instalments here is the payment schedule.
- $300 USD non-refundable deposit by August 18th 2016 (or two weeks after you apply)
- The remainder of your fee is due no later than Feb 1st
Please send in $300 USD to hold your place!
**Cancellation policy – If you cancel before August 18th, you deposit is refundable minus $50 administration fee. If you need to cancel after August 18th then the deposit can not be returned. After Feb 1ST, tuition will be 50% refundable if your cancellation is due to documented illness or family emergency, even if your space is not filled. If you withdraw for any other reason, we can only refund this portion to you if we can find someone to take your place in the camp session.
Once I know who is coming, I will send out to survey to gauge interest in specific different classes and will create our class schedule.
To apply, go HERE